I’ve been planning and chinking away at writing up the last three years of work into a coherent thesis in the last 6 months or so. It’s very interesting to look back at the reams of planning documents, literature reviews and interim results documents I’ve produced over this time!
Knowing what and how much to write on each topic is a bit of a dark art however; the initial targets I’ve set are very loose, but I think important to form some sort of structure to grow the report into. As a bit of a tongue-in-cheek joke I produced some ‘progress bar’ style bar charts, one for each chapter planned for the final report and have been updating day on day. The satisfaction gained from seeing them creep up has actually been surprisingly effective in getting me into a writing mode each day!
I’ve gone with a traffic light colour palette, the top bar indicates how many words I planned to write, the second the word count to date and the bottom the upper limit I’ve set myself. I know obsessing over word count is a massive waste of time, and I don’t worry about them too much at all, but couldn’t pass up an opportunity for some opportunistic data visualization!